Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dramatic Skies of July


This is a photo (the second image) I took today as I was out painting in a new and exciting location!  It was one of those rare places left where the views in all directions from my easel could be a subject for a painting - rolling high fields, a glimpse of mountains in the distance, the roof of a barn or an old farmhouse, and  the wonderful shapes of old trees dividing the pastures.  The skies were an everchanging drama of dark clouds with highlights of white and cobalt blue sky breaking through.  I did three small paintings before the light changed and the sky became overcast. Each moment seems to be caught "on the run" with this season's fickle weather patterns!  Above the photo is one study from today.
Beautiful as this location is today, it is sad to see the once vital small farms on this road are all gone, the barns in ruins as a reminder of the past.   At least the fields are kept and mown and undeveloped - where the cows once pastured now is home to deer and other wildlife.  When I first came to this spot, a doe sprang out across the fields, followed by her very young fawn- who was not at all sure about me being there!  As I was painting I heard a strange noise near me suddenly and looked over to find a hummingbird hovering very close - it was attracted to the bright colors of my paint and hoping to find some flowers to suck the nectar from!  

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed the clouds being especially dramatic this summer - what with the crazy weather we've been having, guess it makes sense.
    Glad to see you're documenting them!!

    ReplyDelete